Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ham and Cheese

I have a new favorite trick.  All I have to do is say, "Hey Britton, will you make some cookies for my visiting teaching ladies?"  And he'll reply "Sure" and get started on it right away. Love it. Not only is he willing to do it but he has mastered Adam's super yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe so the cookies are sooo good.  I have a feeling I am going to be a much better visiting teacher from now on.



 During the month of July Jenna and Korinne have participated in our city's "Fun in the Sun" rec program for kids.  It's on Mon. Wed. and Fri from 9-12 at the park all month long and they take field trips and play games and do crafts and have a great time.  Both girls have absolutely loved it and since it is pretty inexpensive I have really enjoyed it, too.  Last Monday the girls were excited because it was a special field trip day and they were walking to Pier 49 for pizza and then to Zeppe's for some Italian Ice.  I was set to pick them up at noon but when the phone rang at 11:20 and it was one of the Fun in the Sun directors I knew it was a bad sign.  Korinne had tripped while at Pier 49 pizza and hit a chair on the way down. "Um, she cut her lip a little bit, so um, you should probably come and get her."

If it was truly a "little" cut they wouldn't have called me so I left right away to get her.  She was holding ice to her lip and refused to show me the cut because she was deathly afraid I would take her to a doctor.  It took Adam and me another 20 minutes after we got home to get her to show us the cut.  When she finally did we weren't sure whether to take her in for stitches or not.  I'm not one to rush my child the the Dr. for every cut and bruise because I know that a $500 bill will follow.  She was shaking and crying and white as a ghost. Not because of the cut, mind you, but because she was afraid of going to the doctor. Finally Adam took of picture of it with his phone and we sent it to our friend who is an ER Doc to get his opinion on if we should take her in or not.  Once he saw it he said we should definitely take her in because the cut crossed the lip line.  He even said we should go the ER and not to Instacare because it would need to be stitched by a skilled doctor to not have scarring issues in the future. He even suggested we have a plastic surgeon do it.

Ah, crap.

Adam and I just looked at each other not sure how we were going to break the news to Korinne.  She was absolutely beside herself pacing all around and crying.  Finally I just said, "Korinne, we need to take you in, but they will give you medicine to help you feel calmer so it will be just fine."  Apparently that was the right thing to say. She took great comfort in the fact that they would give her something to calm her down.  Adam took her in and while she didn't end up needing any "special medicine" and was quite brave, just knowing it was an option saw her through the crisis.  She received 6 stitches.  The Doctor (bless his heart) told her she was more brave than a lot of adults he has worked on which really made her beam with pride.  She has enjoyed telling everyone how brave she was. 


Korinne with her 6 lip stitches
 

The stitches will come out after 1 week and hopefully there won't be a lot of scarring.
 
 
 Korinne gives me this look a lot.  She is 7 going on 20.

 
This is her first year mowing the lawn.


So far, she is really enjoying it. :-)


If you have ever held Jameson it doesn't take you long to realize he is a strong kid.  He just is.  At his 18 month appt the Pediatrician was trying to examine him and commented, "Wow. He's strong." And when she examined his abdomen she said, " Oh, he is pure muscle here."  Yeah, I know.  Ask me about it every time I change his diaper or try and get him in his car seat when he's not in the mood to be there.  We had to take our barstools out of our kitchen because Jameson kept climbing up and using them to get into everything.  Now if he wants to see something on the counter he just grabs onto the side of the counter and pulls himself up to get a good look.  Adam got a quick shot of him mid pull-up with his phone.  He does it all of the time and he gets his head right up above the counter top.  What 18 month old kid can do pull ups like this??

 
When he is done seeing what's on the countertop he'll just hold himself up like this for fun. You can see him laughing.


Jameson is a ham.  His facial expressions are hilarious and he is a big tease. Adam took a few shots with his phone while he was hamming it up.





We had him evaluated for an early intervention speech therapy program this week.  While he talks baby gibberish constantly he isn't using words and since his biological brother that we met had some real speech issues we decided to be proactive about it instead of waiting until he gets even further behind.  The lady that came and tested him just laughed at how he was such a tease and so animated.  She even said, "Oh I hope he qualifies so I can come out and work with him. He is so funny!"  When she was finished with everything it was determined that he was eligible to receive services. They have a few more evaluations before we start anything, but I'm hoping that we can get a jump on things so he won't be so frustrated about not being able to tell us what he wants.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

The way Jameson pulls himself up to the counter and holds himself there is amazing. Good job being brave Korinne!