Sunday, March 17, 2013

March Madness

For the last 7 1/2 years Adam and I have been driving the same 2 cars around, a 2002 Honda Odyssey and a 1998 Toyota Camry. Well, the Camry has been getting on in years and Adam decided it was time to sell it after 8 years of loyal service to our family.  We sold it to our 16 year old nephew who was very excited to purchase his first car.  When Adam told the kids he was selling the Camry they took it harder than we thought they would.  They couldn't believe we would sell it. They don't remember ever having another car so it was the first for them. Korinne's quote of the day, "I'm really going to miss this baby."

Adam and Britton just before they drove the car to its new owner.
 
We're hoping to find a car that will do a little better going up our hill in the snow. Now that we are down a car we are under a little pressure to find something very soon.
 
This morning we were all sitting in the family room and Britton was listening to the Mormon channel on his kindle when the following conversation took place.
 
Adam "Britton, what are you doing?"
Britton "I'm listening to  Russell M Nelson's talk called 'Lessons from the Lord's Prayer'" (Typical Britton)
Adam "Today is selection Sunday"
Britton "What?"
Adam "Selection Sunday.  They decide today who gets to go to the big dance"
Britton "What? The square dance?? What's that?"
Adam "No, the big dance. You don't know what the big dance is? I see my work here is not done."
 
I find it funny that it was Adam trying to distract Britton from doing something very appropriate for a Sunday.  Yes, Adam.  Sometimes he gets really wild and crazy like that.  March Madness (aka the NCAA basketball tournament) is big for Adam.  He absolutely loves it. He watches the tournament on a TV in his office while trying to work at the same time. I'm sure he will have fun working on his bracket tomorrow in time for the games to start Thursday. Yeah, it just doesn't feel like March until the big dance begins.
 
I said something this week that I never thought I would say.
 
"Britton, will you please STOP practicing the cello?"
 
Yes, I said it and I meant it.  Britton and Jenna have been participating in a "Practice-a-thon" for orchestra. They were supposed to get pledges for each minute they practiced during the week and then collect the money.  For the orchestra program it's a win-win.  The kids practice a lot AND they get the fundraiser money they need.  Well, Adam and I always just make a flat donation so it doesn't really matter how much they practice, but Britton and Jenna are just a little competitive and are determined to practice more than any other member of the orchestra. I guess the winners get some kind of prize.  Anyway, they have both been practicing non-stop and if one practices more than the other, the other one gets all stressed out that they are getting behind in minutes.  They spend a lot of time practicing together since they are in the same class but play different instruments.  Well, one night this week Britton was practicing in his room and Jenna was supposed to do the dishes but she was all stressed out that Britton wouldn't stop practicing while she was doing dishes and she was going to get behind and he was so mean and why won't he just stop for a minute! (I'm sure you can imagine the scene.)  I just wanted the dishes done but Jenna was so stressed about it she wasn't getting anything done at all. Finally I marched up to Britton's room and said, "Britton, will you please stop practicing!"  He smiled at me and laughed a little and then stopped.  I left the room thinking, "Well, I guess I should add that to the list of things I never thought I would say in my lifetime."
 
Here they are practicing on Britton's bed.  After more than 13 hours of practice this week they are starting to sound really good!
 

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Yes. It is rare to ask a kid to stop practicing. It never happened to me.