Friday, July 17, 2009

Roasting

Last night our cul-de-sac had an impromptu marshmallow roast. The weather was perfect and a neighbor pulled their portable fire pit out and put it in the circle and all of the kids and parents sat out and talked and roasted marshmallows while the sun went down. It was a positively blissful summer evening until one of the adults said, "Did you guys realize there are only 20 more weekdays until school starts?" WHAT!? Reality check. Summer is whizzing by. The kids have spent countless hours playing outside in the circle and coming up with crazy ideas. Believe me when I say there is ALWAYS something going on. They come up with the most random, creative things to keep them busy and I love it. I love that they are out being kids and running around and riding bikes and creating bug museums, and setting up car washes (only 10 cents for all of the cars in the cul-de-sac), and putting together bike riding shows, and making bird feeders for the trees. I love that I live in a place where they can be out and about and I'm not worried about them as soon as they walk out the front door. Did I mention that I love our cul-de-sac? Well, it's awesome.

We have tried to keep some sort of balance in our summer playing. Every day the kids have to do their reading/school work, practice their piano, and do some chores. The moment they are done it's, "Mom, can I go outside now? Can I go outside right now, Mom? Now is it time for me to go outside?" Ok, enough already! You can go outside. I was going to plan more outings but they seem so occupied by their play that I really am content to let them have their unstructured free time.

The kids just finished 2 weeks of swimming lessons and for the first time all 3 had their own class. Korinne was so excited to be one of the big kids she walked right over to the pool and jumped in going under the water and everything. In fact, after the first day I had to go over and get her out of the pool because every time her teacher tried to lift Korinne out of the pool Korinne would go limp and wouldn't stand up because clearly she wanted to stay IN the pool and why was her teacher trying to get her out of the pool anyway?

Korinne loving her swim lesson.

Britton participated in a fun and fitness camp that went 2 times a week (for 2 hrs) for 4 1/2 weeks. A local elementary school PE teacher puts it on every year and has them playing all sorts of sports and games. Britton LOVED it. Jenna didn't want to have anything to do with it once she heard the word "sports", but after watching me drop Britton off and pick him up and seeing a glimpse of all of the fun activities she has decided that she would like to participate next year. I think it is a great idea.

So, that is what we've been up to so far this summer.

2 comments:

Rob said...

I decided I wanted to be a cool person commenting on your blog. Hi! Caleb so misses your kids, I am super happy for you that you love where you live but bummed that your kids cannot play with mine. Caleb still mentions Jenna every now and then. Keep enjoying your summer, I love unstructured play time, that way I do not have to wrack my brain trying to think of something for my kids. -Diedre

larah said...

I really hate to think about how little time there is until school starts up again. We are enjoying our summer way too much.