Sunday, March 10, 2019

Time for Daylight Savings

For Christmas Korinne got a few ski passes so she could go skiing with her friend Cara. She enjoyed her days on the slopes this winter.



On February 21st "Shrek the Musical" opened at the high school and Britton was the Captain of the Guards.  He tried out on a whim having never done anything like it before, and really enjoyed being in the show.  He said that he wasn't going to do it again next year, but we will see. . .






On February 23rd I went to the Utah Classic ballroom competition with Jenna. Grandma and Grandpa P were also able to come for part of the time.

 


Jenna competed in 2 individual events and placed 4th in the Cha Cha and 1st in the Quickstep. She was really excited about doing so well.  It was her first time winning an event at a big competition.


The next day Jenna turned 16 years old!



Later that week she went into get her drivers license. It's official, we now have 4 drivers in the house!


On March 2nd Jenna, Korinne and I met Grandma and Grandpa and cousin Tanner Marcum at Roots Tech in SLC.



On March 4th I took Jenna and a friend down to Hale Center Theater for her birthday present, tickets to "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder".  We went to a Monday 4 p.m. performance. On the way home we were just passing Ogden when the low tire pressure warning light came on.  I immediately started to get over to the slower lanes when we heard a lot of thumping sounds and I pulled off to the side of the highway.  It was a complete blowout with strips of tire coming off the wheel.  It was dark, and cold and the spare tire was bolted into the back and I couldn't get it lose.  We were over an hour away from home and in quite a pickle.  We were trying to get the jack out and even found some instructions but I didn't have a lot of confidence in my tire changing abilities especially in the dark . I have a college friend who lives in North Ogden so I texted her to see if maybe we could get some help but before she could get back to me a very nice young couple pulled over to help us. They had passed us earlier and decided to turn around and see if they could be of assistance.  I was VERY grateful because the guy was super strong and knew exactly what to do. Even so he had a difficult time getting the tire off because some of the lugnuts had been stripped. I know there is no way I would have been able to change it by myself after watching how long it took him to do it.   I've decided that I will no longer drive the red car to SLC without Adam.  Every time I do catastrophe happens and now I'm kind of traumatized.

The next day we had to get 2 new tires for the red car.  Later that night I was trying to leave and take Korinne to Young Womens when the garage door started to go haywire. It just kept going up and down about 2 feet and wouldn't stop.  I couldn't get it to go all the way up and I couldn't get it to go all the way down.  Adam wasn't home (of course) and the kids were scared because it wouldn't stop going up and down and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Finally I pulled the emergency stop and it slammed down. The spring was broken and the car was stuck in the garage. Ugh.  Once Adam came home we were somehow able to drive the van out of the 3rd bay (after a 148 point turn) so we could at least use it until we could get the garage door fixed. Yeah, it was a very expensive week for us.

Trying to get the van out of the garage.

I started a new job last week.  I teach English online to kids in China during the wee hours of the morning.  I've been teaching for 2 weeks and it has been an adjustment to get up at 4:30 a.m. every day, but the actual teaching part is pretty fun.  I'm in charge of my own schedule, but basically the peak times to teach and get bookings from students is between 5-7 a.m. every morning.(Well, peak time starts at 3 a.m., but 5 a.m. is the absolute earliest I'm willing to teach.) Friday and Saturday evenings are also peak times. I've discovered that getting up at 4:30 isn't too bad as long as I go to bed by 8:30 p.m. the night before. Basically I'm on east coast time without living on the east coast.


This is my classroom set up in the basement bedroom.

Britton had a soccer tournament in St. George this last weekend. 




We weren't able to go down and see it, but Gramma and Granpa C were able to go to his games and see him play.  He got quite a bit of Varsity playing time so he was pretty happy. It's hard to believe its already time for soccer again. Ready or not, here we go!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Glad we were able to attend a few of the family events. We didn't know about the garage door. What a pain! So grateful you had help with that tire!
It was nice that St. George grandparents could attend Britton's soccer games.