Monday, August 6, 2018

New friends and summer fun

On Monday the 30th we went to an pool party for families who have a connection to Ethiopia. There was a good group there and the boys had a blast.  Adam and I enjoyed meeting other families who have traveled our same road of adopting from Ethiopia.


The family that hosted the party had an AMAZING house complete with a 2 story rock climbing room which was next to the indoor gym which was by the awesome theater room . . .  you get the idea, it was a super cool house.

Jmo on the rock wall

I have never seen a kid attack a pool like AJ.  Adam captured this shot and it really shows his personality around water. He has absolutely no fear. 


We hosted 4 nieces from Adam's side of the family for the stay-at-home session of EFY.  Another niece and a friend from my side stayed at my parents house around the corner so it was quite a party getting 7 girls to and from EFY each day.

On Thursday night I was driving to pick up the girls when the sky opened and the rain came down in sheets. It was definitely what I call a torrential downpour.  The kids have to walk several blocks to the area where they get picked up and had already left when the rain started. By the time I saw them they were absolutely drenched.

Jenna and cousin Anna soaking wet

Ainsley, Anna and Jenna

Wet and cold at the grocery store on the way home.

On Thursday the 2nd I took Jameson and AJ to a kids camp put together by another adoptive Mom.  There were probably between 30-40 black kids there who have been adopted by white parents and while it was a bit chaotic (for me) the boys were definitely in their element.

Making HUGE bubbles


AJ in the middle of pool.

Swimming was a hit.

More friends in the hot tub. AJ in life vest, Jmo was hiding behind someone for picture.

They also learned some African dances, played games with a coach who is also an adoptee himself, made a craft and had lunch. We had to leave a bit early to avoid hitting rush hour traffic on the way home, but the boys met a lot of new friends and I did, too.


When Adam took Jameson down to the Genesis group primary meeting on Sunday night Jameson was happy to discover he recognized a lot more of the kids than he had at previous meetings.  All of the events we have attended this summer have helped him get to know the other kids who regularly attend Genesis. The first few times we went to Genesis we practically had to drag him there, but this time he kept asking all day what time Genesis was and if it was time to go yet.  I had to laugh when his friend and neighbor, Ace, asked him where he was going when he got in the car with Adam on a Sunday evening, "I'm going to Genesis (pause). . .it's not for white kids." Ha! It's a bit more inclusive than that, but I couldn't help but laugh at his simple explanation. 😊


2 comments:

Heather said...

It's a good thing AJ will wear a life-jacket. Wowzers - no fear indeed! Nice to have such support groups in the area.

Kristen said...

I think it is good that your kids are having a variety of experiences and learning to appreciate new friends and all kids! Thanks so much for posting. We love hearing about your activities.