Jenna went with Grandma and Grandpa down to SLC on Sunday night so she could catch the bus to Oakcrest LDS Girls Camp early Monday morning.
She was really excited to go to camp with one of her good friends from our ward, Keslie. Up until 2 years ago she wouldn't have been able to go to Oakcrest, but now they have open enrollment so girls that don't live within the boundaries of the stakes who pay into Oakcrest can still apply to come. I was really excited for Jenna to have the opportunity. I knew she would absolutely love it.
Since they invite Bishops and other Stake Leaders to camp on Thursday night Adam and I decided to go up and see how things were going. I, of course, was excited to see my old stomping grounds since I was a counselor at Oakcrest back in 1995 as an 18 year old.
Jenna and Keslie in front of their cabin
Mother/daughter photo op
The program we attended went long so we literally had 5 min to take a few pictures before leaving camp. I was a little disappointed I didn't have a few more minutes to look around.
I have a lot of great memories of Oakcrest and I'm still in contact today with people I met there. Jenna let me know that all past staff pictures are still hanging in the lodge so they were able to find my me in my quality 90's attire. Upon returning home on Friday afternoon Jenna declared it to be the best week of her life.
We stayed in SLC Thursday night and while waiting for Jenna's bus to roll in at 12:30 we went to the zoo in the morning. Jameson was more than a little excited for a zoo adventure.
Obligatory drinking out of the Lion's mouth picture.
Ok, The baby lions were super cute.
Waiting for the bird show to start.
Jameson really loves any opportunity to ride on a real train.
Britton is always a good sport on these excursions .
After picking up Jenna from the church in Murray that I attended when I was her age, I took her on a little tour of my old neighborhood. I lived in this house on Holstein Way for 6 years, longer than I've lived anywhere except the house I'm living in right now.
While in SLC we were also able to visit a member of our ward who is at the U of U Medical Center and go to dinner with some friends from our old neighborhood, George and Kimberly Reynolds. Saturday morning we were all busy helping Grandma with her annual Flag Day Breakfast at the park by their home. It's so nice that my kids are genuinely helpful these days. We were done with the cleanup in record time and were on our way home by noon.
It was a nice to trip to SLC as we really don't get there very often anymore. Britton, Korinne and Jameson were sure glad to have Jenna back. She was greatly missed.











2 comments:
Fun for Jenna! How's Kim doing? I haven't talked with her in years...
How fun for mother-daughter conversations to reminisce about Oakcrest! I'm happy Jenna got to go. Thanks for helping with the breakfast!
Post a Comment