Thursday, November 18, 2010

Persimmon

I've been feeling very boring lately. I just haven't been able to come up with any blog material. Our days are busy, but nothing seems to jump out at me and say, "put me in the blog."  I get like this sometimes so I know it will pass, but for now I'm at a loss for words.  It's unfortunate that I'm going through this phase at this time of year because for the first time in a long time I don't think I'll be doing Christmas cards.  We haven't moved, Adam is still doing the same job, our kids are still into the same things, we don't have any big announcements and we really look pretty much the same. . .what is there to write about? 

Did you know there is such a thing as persimmon fruit?  I didn't, but for the last 2 weeks I've been trying to come up with stuff to do with these little guys.  I've received about 20 of them in my bountiful basket.


You can't just take a bit bite out of them and eat them like apples. They have a tomato like exterior, but when you cut into them you can tell it is a fruit.  So far I've made a cake after cutting them up and making a pulp in the blender.  We decided that it wasn't so bad, but is best slightly warm with a dollop of cool whip on the top.  After a few days it gets a little rubbery.

Yeah, I feel boring.

4 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Yes, but I got a good giggle out of it. I actually began wondering about that fruit recently, having never purchased one before.

Kristen said...

I think that your cooking adventures are worth sharing. I'm getting a kick out of it. You also have some interesting family history stories. Hope you get through this phase quickly. I look forward to your stories.

Heather said...

I made persimmon oatmeal cookies on Tuesday. I only got 6 of them in my basket which was just enough for a double-batch. The cookies were yummy but I agree with the texture thing (rubbery after a few days).

Emily said...

Sounds like your life is great as usual! Boring is not always a bad thing! Change is exciting, but exhausting. I'm sure it won't last for long! We'll miss the annual Christmas Greeting, but I think it's okay to take a year off here and there!