Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Still learning. . .

I learned a few things over the holiday weekend.

1- I learned that when it comes to planting a garden I have the attention span of a 5 year old.  This is the first time since 2002 that we have attempted a garden.  We have plenty of room in the yard so we decided to give it a try.  We planted a lot of strawberry plants along with the usual tomatoes, green beans and zucchini, etc.  My parents were here to direct the planting which gives me a little more confidence that something might actually grow. Some people are born to garden and then there is me.

2- I learned that if I wear this necklace to church:

Korinne will use a not so quiet voice to exclaim, "Mom, you have disco balls on your necklace!" several times during the meeting. 

3- I learned that people that routinely hang out at Mountain Men Rendezvous are not normal.  We went to the annual Mountain Man Rendezvous on Monday to see what we could see.  All of the people selling goods and their families were dressed in attire that reflected the 1820's.  It didn't take long to see that these people were serious about their mountain man attire.  The kids favorite part was when they shot a bunch of candy out of a small cannon into an open field.  It was cool to have the experience and look at the goods but I just couldn't find any reason to buy an animal pelt or a bag made out of buffalo hair.  We concluded that they really just sell all of their stuff to each other.

4- I learned that my kids like to take pictures of sunsets. I have about 30 pictures on my camera that look like this:


It appears that sunsets will be well documented at our house.

5- I learned that my neighbor Annie puts on one heck of a birthday party for 4 year old girls.

She had the girls come in their dance leotards and then dressed them up like fairies complete with glitter hair spray, make-up, nail polish, wings, butterfly catchers and a skirt.  She kept the party to only 4 girls and Korinne LOVED it.

Must be birthday season. Britton was invited to 4 birthday parties last week, Korinne had one today and Jenna was invited to one later on in the month. I can hardly keep them all straight.

So you see, I've learned a lot in the last few days.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Cool parties. We had a great time with your family on Monday. I don't have my blog up yet. I'm slow.

Kristen said...

P.S. I love your sunsets too! That one is amazing.